IS REGISTRATION NECESSARY?
Registration is not required to use Karate Health, however registering does enable you to access your account information on multiple devices. Registering also enables you to recover your information in the event you change mobile phones or reinstall the application on your mobile device. We may also require registration to allow you to redeem certain offers or gifts. Finally, if you download Karate Health in connection with a program offered by an employer, healthcare provider, pharmacy benefit manager, or other healthcare professional in collaboration with us (collectively, “Benefit or Healthcare Provider”), you may be required to register with such Benefit or Healthcare Provider in connection with such program and provide certain Personal Information to such provider. We are not responsible for the use of any Personal Information that you may decide to provide to any Benefit or Healthcare Provider in connection with the use of Karate Health or the program overall.
If you choose not to register, we will assign a unique identifier (“UID”) to your device in order to send you medication reminders, notices or other messages, and to provide appropriate content each time you use Karate Health. If you download Karate Health to your mobile device, use it for some time, delete it and then reinstall it, we would create a new UID for you at the time of the reinstall. This means that we would not associate the user with the previous UID and would not show your previous history in Karate Health. If you are an unregistered user who has disabled push notifications, you acknowledge and agree we may not be able to reach you and send you any messages until after your return to Karate Health.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
If you decide to complete our registration process, send us an email or post information or other content to Karate Health, we collect Personal Information from you, such as your name, email address and phone number, as well as certain non-identifying information, like information related to medications or supplements you are taking and your individual preferences.
We also collect and store any content that you upload, download or access via Karate Health, which may include Personal Information about you (including pictures of your prescription or over the counter medication that you decide to upload). If you use Karate Health for a period of time before completing the registration process, we will retain any information in your account and add such information to the information provided during the registration process.
If you download Karate Health in connection with a program offered by a Benefit or Healthcare Provider and enter an program code provided to you by your Benefit or Healthcare Provider, your Benefit or Healthcare Provider may provide us Personal Information about you, such as your medication list and refill reminders for us to pass on to you.
HOW DO WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT?
We use the information collected through Karate Health (including Personal Information) for the following purposes:
- to provide our services, including by providing information such as drug or supplement reminders or drug interactions;
- to respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, requests, and complaints and provide customer service;
- to monitor and analyze usage and trends, and to increase the functionality and user friendliness of our services;
- to provide content or features that match your profile or interests, including advertisements and other marketing material; for instance, if you have entered a drug associated with high blood pressure we may send you a coupon or offer for new low sodium foods, or if you accumulate points we may send you a gift card from a commercial retailer;
- to send you confirmations, updates, security alerts, administrative messages and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, our services;
- and for any other purpose that is communicated to you when we collect the information.
We may receive remuneration from third parties for communicating with your about their products or services, or for providing you with promotional items from them.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE SHARE WITH THIRD PARTIES?
We will not share the Personal Information we have collected from you, except as described below:
- In connection with your participation in the Karate Gift Program, we may share your Personal Information with merchants that we have a contractual relationship with, for the purpose of redeeming and fulfilling your reward or notifying you that you have been selected as a winner of a gift (such merchants are obligated to use your Personal Information only to redeem and fulfill your reward and are obligated not to disclose it or use it for any other purposes);
- we may share your information, including Personal Information, with service providers who have a contractual relationship with us in connection with the operation of our site or our services (these service providers have access to your Personal Information only to perform services on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose it or use it for any other purposes);
- if you download Karate Health in connection with a program offered by a Benefit or Healthcare Provider, enter a program code provided to you by the Benefit or Healthcare Provider or otherwise authenticate to a Benefit or Healthcare Provider in the app, we may provide Personal Information about you to the Benefit or Healthcare Provider, including data related to your use of, and interaction with, Karate Health. The Benefit or Healthcare Provider may be able to associate the Personal Information we provide with you;
- we may share aggregated information with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling and other similar purposes;
- when you give us your consent to do so, including if we notify you that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information;
- when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants or court orders;
- and in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition, or in any other situation where Personal Information may be disclosed or transferred as one of our business assets.
We may receive remuneration from third parties for sharing your Personal Information with them in the circumstances described above.
We are not responsible for the actions of service providers or other third parties, nor are we responsible for any additional information you provide directly to any third parties.
LINKS TO OTHER SITES OR APPLICATIONS
IS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION PROTECTED BY HIPAA?
The Personal Information that you enter into our system is not protected by HIPAA (the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996). HIPAA protects health information held by or on behalf of your health care provider or health plan. When you enter Personal Information into Karate Health we hold it on our own account. However, if you register with a program code provided to you by your Benefit or Healthcare provider or otherwise access your Benefit or Healthcare provider account from within Karate Health, we may receive information about you from your Benefit or Healthcare Provider, such as your medication list. If your Benefit or Healthcare Provider is covered by HIPAA, the information it provides us will generally be protected, and we will use and disclose it only as permitted by our agreement with your Benefit or Healthcare Provider, or as required by law, or as authorized by you.
WHAT STEPS DO WE TAKE TO PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION ONLINE?
We are very concerned with safeguarding your information and employ reasonable measures to do that. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
OUR POLICY TOWARD CHILDREN
We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13. If we learn that we have collected Personal Information of a child under 13, we will take steps to delete such information from our files as soon as possible.
Effective: June 15, 2016