Many Lupus Warriors are familiar with chronic pain — the kind that lasts for months or even years. Mindfulness-based stress reduction may offer relief, according to a recent meta-analysis.
Sharp pangs. Dull aches. Tingling. Pain comes in many sensations, but all are unpleasant and can interfere with daily life. 1 in 5 adults experience chronic pain, according to a World Health Organization fact sheet. 43% of American households and 36% of European households include at least 1 person battling chronic pain.
Pain falls into two categories:
- Acute pain
- Shorter in duration (less than 3 – 6 months)
- Directly related to soft tissue damage (e.g., sprained ankle)
- Typically more sharp and severe
- Chronic pain
- Longer duration (can last years)
- Cause may be an ongoing injury or infection (e.g., autoimmune disease, cancer)
- Impacted by environmental and psychological factors